Search Price Results
Wish

LOT 234

Original left-hand drive Drophead Coupe version 1956 Jaguar XK140 3.4...

[ translate ]

1956 Jaguar XK140 3.4 SE DHC
Chassis no. S818897BW
Engine no. G8516-8S
• Older restoration with mechanical improvements
• Delivered new to Jaguar New York
• Monegasque registration and title

* Please note that this car will be available for viewing by prior appointment in France.

Launched in 1954, the Jaguar XK140 was broadly similar to, though more refined than its sensational XK120 predecessor, major engineering changes being confined to the repositioning of the engine three inches further forward and the adoption of rack-and-pinion steering as used on the racing C-Type. The suspension and brakes remained much as before, though with stiffer torsion bars at the front and telescopic shock absorbers replacing the previous lever type at the rear. Like its XK120 forbear, the XK140 was built in three model types: roadster, coupé and drophead coupé, the latter two offering usefully increased cabin space and occasional rear seats. Outwardly the newcomer was distinguishable by its revised radiator grille, rear lights incorporating flashing indicators, and larger bumpers - the latter adopted to withstand the cut and thrust of urban parking.

The power unit remained Jaguar's well-tried, 3.4-litre, twin-cam six, which now produced 190bhp in standard trim thanks to higher-lift camshafts and revised porting. To ensure reliability, steel bearing-caps replaced the previous cast-iron type. A close-ratio gearbox enabled better use to be made of the increased performance, and Laycock de Normanville overdrive became an option for the first time. Special Equipment XK140s came with wire wheels and Lucas fog lamps, and could be ordered with an engine developing 210bhp courtesy of the C-Type cylinder head. XK140 performance was well up to the standards set by its exemplary predecessor, contemporary magazine road-tests regularly recording top speed figures in excess of 120mph.

Built on 13/09/1956 and supplied new to Jaguar New York, this automatic XK140 3.4 DHC SE was originally Cream with a Dark Blue interior. The original engine number G8807-8S has been replaced at some point with an engine block of the correct type, number G8515-8S, fitted with a cylinder head numbered 7B58197-8. Subject to an older restoration from which the car emerged as Silver with a Red interior, the car has some aesthetic issues to consider but is said to start, run and drive. It is equipped with a Moto-Lita steering wheel, Radiomobile radio, aluminium radiator, electric blower, chromed wire wheels, Inox exhaust, alternator, aluminium tank, hydraulic power steering, electric fuel pump, gas shock absorbers, rear disc brakes, and larger front disc brakes.
The car is registered in Monaco and comes with a Monegasque title.

Some of the original spare parts available: cupper original radiator, steering wheel, drum brakes, and some more.

[ translate ]

View it on
Estimate
Unlock
Time, Location
16 Dec 2023
Belgium, Brussels
Auction House
Unlock

[ translate ]

1956 Jaguar XK140 3.4 SE DHC
Chassis no. S818897BW
Engine no. G8516-8S
• Older restoration with mechanical improvements
• Delivered new to Jaguar New York
• Monegasque registration and title

* Please note that this car will be available for viewing by prior appointment in France.

Launched in 1954, the Jaguar XK140 was broadly similar to, though more refined than its sensational XK120 predecessor, major engineering changes being confined to the repositioning of the engine three inches further forward and the adoption of rack-and-pinion steering as used on the racing C-Type. The suspension and brakes remained much as before, though with stiffer torsion bars at the front and telescopic shock absorbers replacing the previous lever type at the rear. Like its XK120 forbear, the XK140 was built in three model types: roadster, coupé and drophead coupé, the latter two offering usefully increased cabin space and occasional rear seats. Outwardly the newcomer was distinguishable by its revised radiator grille, rear lights incorporating flashing indicators, and larger bumpers - the latter adopted to withstand the cut and thrust of urban parking.

The power unit remained Jaguar's well-tried, 3.4-litre, twin-cam six, which now produced 190bhp in standard trim thanks to higher-lift camshafts and revised porting. To ensure reliability, steel bearing-caps replaced the previous cast-iron type. A close-ratio gearbox enabled better use to be made of the increased performance, and Laycock de Normanville overdrive became an option for the first time. Special Equipment XK140s came with wire wheels and Lucas fog lamps, and could be ordered with an engine developing 210bhp courtesy of the C-Type cylinder head. XK140 performance was well up to the standards set by its exemplary predecessor, contemporary magazine road-tests regularly recording top speed figures in excess of 120mph.

Built on 13/09/1956 and supplied new to Jaguar New York, this automatic XK140 3.4 DHC SE was originally Cream with a Dark Blue interior. The original engine number G8807-8S has been replaced at some point with an engine block of the correct type, number G8515-8S, fitted with a cylinder head numbered 7B58197-8. Subject to an older restoration from which the car emerged as Silver with a Red interior, the car has some aesthetic issues to consider but is said to start, run and drive. It is equipped with a Moto-Lita steering wheel, Radiomobile radio, aluminium radiator, electric blower, chromed wire wheels, Inox exhaust, alternator, aluminium tank, hydraulic power steering, electric fuel pump, gas shock absorbers, rear disc brakes, and larger front disc brakes.
The car is registered in Monaco and comes with a Monegasque title.

Some of the original spare parts available: cupper original radiator, steering wheel, drum brakes, and some more.

[ translate ]
Estimate
Unlock
Time, Location
16 Dec 2023
Belgium, Brussels
Auction House
Unlock